1. Study and propose educational policy for school education.
2. Develop plans and projects for the implementation of educational policy adopted in the light of the economic, social, scientific and technical development requirements.
3. Develop educational programs in accordance with the philosophy of education and national objectives in the scope of the policy of the State.
4. Dissemination of basic school education and post-basic education according to the principle of equal educational opportunities for all citizens in all governorates and regions of the Sultanate.
5. The provision of sufficient literacy programs and special education for learners of special education needs as needed.
6. Encourage investment in school education and pre-school education by the private sector under the supervision of the Ministry in accordance with the general objectives of the State.
7. The provision of school buildings with all requirements and encourage citizens and the private sector to contribute to the support of educational services.
8. The preparation of draft laws and regulations related to school.
9. Anchor the foundations and the general criteria for the development of school curricula various elements, taking into account the different connectivity and integration between them in various stages of schooling.
10. Work to set standards for teaching and learning, taking into account the continuous evolution in teaching and learning.
11. The introduction of learning technologies in schools, according to the possibilities available in order to raise the skill levels of learning outcomes in the context of digital society.
12. The development of educational supervision and school management, methods and ways and means of vocational guidance in schools.
13. Determine the scientific levels and practical experience required for the teaching staff and associated functions with it in school.
14.Determine the rules and regulations and the foundations of the teaching profession (teaching apprenticeship) and ensure the overall quality in the teaching process.
15. Identify mechanisms and means to strengthen the relationship between home and school.
16. Undertake studies and research aimed at identifying the educational needs of learners and to propose mechanisms for the development, commensurate with the requirements of development.
17. Participate in nurturing foreign cultural relations in the field of education and the representation of the Sultanate in the organizations, conferences and educational seminars, on regional and international levels.
18. Support Scouting and guiding network in the Sultanate and activating programs and its activities.
19. The management of various types of school systems and establishments and provide all the requirements to ensure its continuity and efficiency.
19. Work to ensure the support of all sectors of society to the development of education programs.
20. Pursuance and implement any other powers under the laws and royal decrees.
21. Issue regulations and decisions necessary for the implementation of these terms of reference.